We are expecting more of this tea to arrive in late January or early February. Harvest shortages have occurred due to the significant impact of the pandemic in India, as well as a tough growing season in general owing to the ongoing impact of climate change in India, where they have been experiencing severe droughts followed by extreme rainfall for some time. Thanks for your patience!
Be sure to click EMAIL WHEN AVAILABLE so you'll be the first to be notified when this item is back in stock. Quantities arriving will be limited, and so we could run out again soon once it's back in stock. This helps ensure you don't miss out.
In the meantime, you may enjoy drinking our Green Rama Tulsi tea as alternative while you wait for this tea to arrive back in stock again!
flavour profile: complex spicy notes hint of cinnamon, clove & camphor
ingredients: tulsi (holy basil), purple krishna varietal
Revered as one of the most powerful healing herbs, Tulsi is so highly prized in India, it is known as "the elixir of life". Studies are revealing a vast array of benefits:
- counteracts physical & mental stress, including prolonged physical exertion, exposure to environmental toxins, cold & even excessive noise
- balancing effect on blood sugar, blood pressure & cholesterol
- supports brain function & memory; natural anti-depressant
- pain-relief & anti-inflammatory
- caffeine-free energy & calm. Has an adaptogenic effect, uplifting or soothing depending on what you need & when you drink it.
Drink Tulsi hot or iced, add a pinch to any of your favourite teas as a nutrient booster, or cook with it. Check out our divine Bisque Soup recipe for inspiration.
Also known as ‘holy basil’, Tulsi produces different varietals. Krishna Purple Tulsi & Green Rama Tulsi are associated with similar properties. Traditionally, Green Rama is considered cooling & is used for allergies & warmer constitutions. Purple Krishna is considered more warming & nourishing for those with cooler constitutions. To decide which one is for you, get both, drink them regularly & see how you respond. It can also be best to taste each & choose the one you are more drawn to.
Pour 2 cups of water over 1 tsp. of SILK ROAD premium quality, organic loose tea. This may not seem like a lot of tea but SILK ROAD teas are incredibly fresh & flavourful, which means that you don’t need very much in order to produce a delicious cup of tea. Using any more tea leaves can result in a cup of tea that is too strong.
- herbal tea bring water to a full, rolling boil | steep 7-10 minutes
- wellness tea bring water to a full, rolling boil | cover & steep 7-10 minutes
- green tea bring water to just before the boil begins | steep 1-3 minutes
- black tea bring water to a full, rolling boil | steep 2-5 minutes
- white tea bring water to just before the boil begins | steep 3-5 minutes
- oolong tea bring water to the boil | steep 5-7 minutes
Loose teas are sold in refillable tins to preserve the tea’s superb flavour, freshness and nutrients. Normally, we encourage you to bring your empty tins into our shops to refill. However, this is currently on pause due to COVID-19. We’re delighted to offer another eco-friendly, low-waste way to re-use your tins!
Brown bag refills are available when you purchase tea in-store and online. Simply select “refill” to receive your tea in a brown bag refill. Immediately transfer the tea to the original tin it came in, once the brown bag refill is home or has arrived in the mail. Brown bags are 100% recyclable, compostable, biodegradable and made of post-consumer recycled paper.
CAN I STORE TEA IN THE BROWN BAG REFILL? No, it is a short term method for transport only and is not suitable for storing. It will not maintain tea’s freshness, nutrients and flavour. It does not protect against exposure to air, liquid or moisture. Air exposure causes nutrient & flavour loss; liquid/moisture causes tea to mildew. As soon as you get home from the shop, or when it arrives in the mail, transfer tea immediately into Silk Road tins - they are designed to preserve the tea.
ABOUT TEA SIZES Refer to the above chart - our loose teas are sold by volume, not weight.