We’re excited to announce that we’ve sourced a new style of Mulberry Tea!
The benefits of both types of Mulberry Tea are the same, but the processing methods to make them are different. This new style is lightly steamed & dried, whereas the other type was rolled after steaming. The production method affects:
- the tea's taste: the new one has a slightly more vegetal & less toasty flavour than the original style.
- the tea’s appearance: the new one looks fluffier & the pieces are smaller but open, rather than closed & tightly rolled.
Please note that as tea is a food product we cannot accept returns or exchanges. We recommend stopping by our shops to taste it before purchasing, if you’re unsure whether you’ll like the taste of this tea. If you’re ordering online, you may wish to purchase a smaller quantity to start out, before stocking up.
We do not have any estimated arrival dates for the original style of Mulberry Tea, so this new tea is the only type of we are able to offer at this time. Quantities are limited, so we may run out quickly. As with many other teas & ingredients, Mulberry is currently experiencing crop shortages stemming from climate change.
Pour 2 cups of water over 1 tsp. of SILK ROAD premium quality, organic loose tea. This may not seem like a lot of tea but SILK ROAD teas are incredibly fresh & flavourful, which means that you don’t need very much in order to produce a delicious cup of tea. Using any more tea leaves can result in a cup of tea that is too strong.
- herbal tea bring water to a full, rolling boil | steep 7-10 minutes
- wellness tea bring water to a full, rolling boil | cover & steep 7-10 minutes
- green tea bring water to just before the boil begins | steep 1-3 minutes
- black tea bring water to a full, rolling boil | steep 2-5 minutes
- white tea bring water to just before the boil begins | steep 3-5 minutes
- oolong tea bring water to the boil | steep 5-7 minutes
Loose teas are sold in refillable tins to preserve the tea’s superb flavour, freshness and nutrients. Normally, we encourage you to bring your empty tins into our shops to refill. However, this is currently on pause due to Covid-19. We’re delighted to offer another eco-friendly, low-waste way to re-use your tins!
Brown bag refills are available when you purchase tea in-store and online. Simply select “refill” to receive your tea in a brown bag refill. Immediately transfer the tea to the original tin it came in, once the brown bag refill is home or has arrived in the mail. Brown bags are 100% recyclable, compostable, biodegradable and made of post-consumer recycled paper.
CAN I STORE TEA IN THE BROWN BAG REFILL? No, it is a short term method for transport only and is not suitable for storing. It will not maintain tea’s freshness, nutrients and flavour. It does not protect against exposure to air, liquid or moisture. Air exposure causes nutrient & flavour loss; liquid/moisture causes tea to mildew. As soon as you get home from the shop, or when it arrives in the mail, transfer tea immediately into Silk Road tins - they are designed to preserve the tea.
ABOUT TEA SIZES Refer to the above chart - our loose teas are sold by volume, not weight.