These irresistible cocoa cheesecake tea bars are dairy-free, gluten-free & vegan, & don’t contain any refined sugar either, but you’d never know it. Created by the wonderfully talented pastry Chef Cathryn Kissinger, these tasty treats are loaded with protein & antioxidants, & are a crowd pleaser regardless of whether you’re making them for guests with dietary sensitivities or not. Serve for special occasions or whenever you want a treat.
The recipe features our iconic SOUR CHERRY TEA but you can try experimenting with other of your fave Silk Road Teas – they are delicious with fruity or spicy teas as well as classic IMPERIAL EARL GREY.
Cathryn has worked in Victoria as a pastry chef for the past 15 years. Her dessert palette is sophisticated & not overly sweet, which is an influence from when she lived in Japan. She learned the foundations of French pastry while attending pastry school in New York City. She enjoys testing new recipes & learning new techniques which help feed her passion for all things pastry.
SILK ROAD is pleased to be a supporter of the scholarship initiative & our owner & Tea Master, Daniela Cubelic is also a proud member of Les Dames d’Escoffier as well. Les Dames d’Escoffier provide leadership, educational opportunities & philanthropic events in the beverage, hospitality, & culinary fields.
Healthy Tip Accompanying this food item with the same tea used in the recipe (hot, iced, or as a tea latte) can enhance the enjoyment of all the flavours, as it adds a layer of complimentary flavour, which amplifies & brightens the taste of all the ingredients. Tea is also a delicious, low-calorie, healthy alternative to alcohol or sugary drinks.
As well, when you’re eating carbs or sweets, it can also be a great idea to reach for teas that help counteract these effects.
Mulberry tea has been used in Asian traditional medicine for hundreds of years as a way to support blood sugar balance & assist weight management. Studies are starting to support these ideas, & are finding that the mulberry can help block carbohydrate absorption.
Detox tea may be an even better choice when having rich or higher-fat foods, as well as carbs & sweets, as the herbs in it were traditionally consumed to counteract all three of these.
Recent studies show that a HOT BATH can have similar benefits as exercise! Effortlessly burn calories, stimulate the metabolism, manage blood sugar & more. Click HERE to discover how to optimize your bath & learn about the surprising benefits of a bath.
Get inspired with more tips, techniques & recipes - watch & learn directly from Tea Master Daniela Cubelic in this captivating VIDEO SERIES.
Learn how to make chai tea soup, tea hot chocolates, mulled cider teas, tea infused oatmeal, ice cream tea floats, tea lemonades, iced teas & more. You’ll also discover fascinating facts & info about the health benefits of tea, tea history & secrets for tea brewing.
COCOA CHEESECAKE TEA BARS
by Cathryn Kissinger
dairy-free, gluten-free & vegan
- 1 cup or 110 grams pecan meal
- 8 dates
- 1/2 cup or 60 grams cocoa powder
- 1 TBS or 5 grams vanilla extract
1. Prepare an 8”x 8” baking pan. Lightly oil & line the pan with parchment paper.
2. Add all of the above ingredients into a food processor.
3. Pulse until the mixture comes together in a loose ball.
4. If the mixture is a little dry, add 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
5. Press into the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
6. Set aside.
CHEESECAKE FILLING INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups or 290 grams raw cashews that have been soaked in water overnight in the fridge.
- 1/2 cup or 110 grams melted cocoa butter
- 1/2 cup or 160 grams maple syrup
- 1/2 cup or 125 grams hot water
- 1/2 cup or 60 grams cocoa powder
- 3 TBS or 20 grams ground SOUR CHERRY or IMPERIAL EARL GREY TEA (this can be done in a spice grinder)
1. Drain the cashews & set them aside.
2. Place the cashews, & hot water in a food processor. A powerful blender will give a smoother consistency. Process until smooth.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients. Process again.
4. Spread the cheesecake on top of the base.
5. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
Run a knife around the edges of the pan to release the cheesecake. Cut into bars.
Bring to room temperature & serve with fresh berries.
~ makes 12 dessert portions