Homemade Tea Syrup adds amazing flavour, along with healthy nutrients, to any breakfast or brunch & can be used in place of maple or any other syrups.
We’re also sharing a yummy vegan, gluten-free pancake recipe that uses simple ingredients & is very easy to make. Of course, you can also use Tea Syrup with any of your favourite recipes for pancakes, French toast, waffles or crepes.
When making Tea Syrup for pancakes, we love fruity teas like SOUR CHERRY, QUENCH & PEACH PARADISE. For delightful spicy notes, you can try HERBAL CHAI or SILK ROAD CHAI. Classics like our IMPERIAL EARL GREY or LONDON FOG are divine. Kids love ALCHEMIST’S BREW, PHILOSOPHER’S BREW & ANGELWATER.
Make up several types of Tea Syrup & let everyone in the household choose their favourite.
For special occasions like someone’s birthday, Mother’s Day or Father’s Day, surprise the tea lover in your household with their favourite Tea Syrup with pancakes.
To add even more flavour & nutrition, top pancakes with fresh fruits like raspberries, strawberries, or banana slices & then finish with a drizzle of Tea Syrup. You can make the Tea Syrup in advance, or you can make it the same day before making the pancakes, so that it has time to cool.
Pancakes with Tea Syrup is a great way to get kids involved in the kitchen. Let little ones pick which tea to use for the syrup—they often come up with great ideas! Younger kids can stir the pancake batter, & older kids love to pour & flip the pancakes too. They can also decorate the finished pancakes with fruit & syrup.
dairy-free, gluten-free & vegan
makes approximately 1½ cups
4 tablespoons SILK ROAD TEA of your choosing
2 cups boiling water
1 cup sugar (white, brown, raw) OR 2 cups honey, maple syrup or agave nectar
- Steep herbal & wellness teas in boiling water for 10 minutes; steep black, green & oolong teas for 5 minutes. After steeping tea, strain.
- Pour tea into to a medium sized saucepan. Add sugar or sweetener to saucepan & stir over medium heat until completely dissolved & the liquid is clear. Caution: do not overheat sugar or sweeteners, or leave them unattended, as they can quickly burn or bubble over.
- Pour syrup into stainless steel or heatproof container to cool, then place in refrigerator, or a cold water/ice bath. Store in fridge.
VEGAN PANCAKESgluten-free, dairy-free & vegan
makes approximately 12 pancakes
2 cups gluten-free flour (use a 1 to 1 gluten-free flour recipe, or your favourite type of flour)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2¼ cups unsweetened non-dairy milk, with extra if needed
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons melted coconut oil or another neutral flavoured oil, plus more for frying
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk & vinegar until frothy. Stir in the oil & vanilla. Add to the flour mixture & stir until smooth. If the batter seems too thick, stir in a little more non-dairy milk so that it has a pourable consistency.
- Heat a griddle or non-stick pan over medium-high heat & coat it lightly with oil. Once heated, pour the batter onto the griddle/pan, using approximately ¼ cup for each pancake.
- When bubbles form on top of a pancake & the bottom is golden, flip, then cook until the other side is golden. You can transfer cooked pancakes to a heat-safe plate in a warm oven if desired. Repeat until the batter is used up.
- Serve immediately with your favourite Tea Syrup!