Our tea based soda pop & sparkler recipes are fun to make, offer a more sophisticated array of all-natural flavours & are a healthier choice for kids & grown ups.
They are lower in sugar than commercial beverages & free of common additives such as dyes, colours, preservatives & artificial flavours.
You’ll also gain the added vitamins, antioxidants & nutritional benefits found in tea.
Prefer to avoid refined sugar? Our recipes gives you the options & quantities for making it with maple syrup, agave nectar, honey, raw or brown sugar.
Step 1 is to make a Tea Flavoured Syrup. Most of our teas making delicious pop & sparklers - see the list below for inspiration. Step 2 is that you’ll simply mix the syrup with soda water. Complete instructions are below.
I usually like to make at least 2 to 3 types of syrup at a time, which always gives me a few varieties to choose from for drinks, as well as for other uses because there are other great reasons to have pre-made Tea Flavoured Syrups in the fridge. In addition to being an instant source for homemade soda pop & sparklers, they can be used instead of maple syrup over pancakes & waffles, & drizzled over fruit salad, ice cream or yogurt. Adding a dash to salad dressings can also add a delicious, tantalizing note to the taste.
A batch of syrup lasts about a week in the fridge, which enables you to make Tea Soda Pop or Tea Sparklers anytime!
Perfect teas for Tea Soda Pop & Tea Sparklers include:
Green teas: Sour Cherry, Jasmine Oasis, Sublime, Earl Green
Wellness Teas: Quench, Winter Warrior, BeauTEAful, Detox
SILK ROAD teas are naturally low in caffeine, or you can eliminate it entirely by choosing a herbal tea option. Learn more about caffeine levels in our teas here.
TEA FLAVOURED SYRUP
makes approximately 1.5 cups
4 tablespoons SILK ROAD TEA of your choosing
2 cups boiling water
1 cup sugar (white, brown, raw) OR 2 cups honey, maple syrup or agave nectar
1. Steep herbal & wellness teas in boiling water for 10 minutes; steep black, green & oolong teas for 5 minutes. After steeping tea, strain.
2. Pour tea into to a medium sized saucepan. Add sugar or sweetener to saucepan & stir over medium heat until completely dissolved & the liquid is clear. Caution: do not overheat sugar or sweeteners, or leave them unattended, as they can quickly burn or bubble over.
3. Pour syrup into stainless steel or heatproof container to cool, then place in refrigerator, or a cold water/ice bath. Store in fridge.
TEA SODA POP & SPARKLERS
The difference between a sparkler & soda pop, is the sparklers tend to have less syrup & a higher proportion of sparkling or soda water.
Sparklers also sometimes contain alcohol - stir in about 1 to 2 oz of your favourite high proof alcohol such as tequila, vodka, rum, gin or whisky per cup.
1 tablespoon Tea Flavoured Syrup (chilled) - modify the amount of syrup depending on your taste preference
1 cup soda water or sparkling water
1. Fill glass with a few cubes of ice & add Tea Flavoured Syrup.
2. Top with soda or sparkling water. Gently stir with a spoon to mix. Garnish with a lemon or lime citrus slices.
Make & serve it by the glass, to preserve the bubbles for as long as possible, or combine syrup & sparkling water in a pitcher & serve immediately to guests.