3-in-1: Popsicle, Cocktail & Mocktail
by Tea Master DANIELA CUBELIC
An exotic, tantalizing pairing of hibiscus & guava, this mouth-watering, stress-relieving, antioxidant-rich creation instantly transports you to the tropics. Fast & easy to make, the taste is dessert-like, but it's low in sugar & calories. Plus it’s loaded with up to four times more vitamin C than an orange, along with other good-for-you nutrients that are associated with soothing effects & are a smart choice for heart health, women & for other reasons you’ll discover below. The Guava Goddess creates a gorgeous vibrant red drink & popsicle.
You only need two ingredients! Just guava juice (easy to find at most grocery stores) & our Alchemist’s Brew tea (a herbal blend of hibiscus flowers, spearmint leaves, lemongrass, rosehips, cinnamon bark, & citrus peel).
Guavas contain potassium, which helps regulate blood pressure. Stress can elevate blood pressure levels; a healthy intake of potassium can balance blood pressure, helping you feel more relaxed. They also contain manganese, which assists in assimilation of other key nutrients, along with B vitamins (also important for helping with stress management) & vitamin A (which is a powerful antioxidant that also supports immune function), as well as more vitamin C than oranges. This combination of vitamins & minerals is considered particularly beneficial for women’s hormone balance, which is why this tasty treat is named the Guava Goddess!
Our Alchemist’s Brew tea contains some of the same antioxidants, vitamins & minerals. Rosehips contain vitamin C, A & E. Studies of hibiscus found that it may be beneficial for blood pressure as well. Another study found that drinking lemongrass tea may boost the formation of red blood cells.
For maximum health benefits, enjoy it alcohol-free, but it still makes a healthier cocktail when compared to cocktail mixes & pre-made commercial cocktails: this combination is lower in sugar, calories & contains no hidden additives, colours or artificial flavours.
Get inspired with more tips, techniques & recipes - watch & learn directly from Tea Master Daniela Cubelic in this captivating VIDEO SERIES.
Learn how to make chai tea soup, tea hot chocolates, mulled cider teas, tea infused oatmeal, ice cream tea floats, tea lemonades, iced teas & more. You’ll also discover fascinating facts & info about the health benefits of tea, tea history & secrets for tea brewing.
THE GUAVA GODDESS
dairy-free, gluten-free & vegan
makes 1 liter | 4 cups
3 tablespoons Alchemist’s Brew tea
1 cup boiling water
2 cups cold water or 2 cups ice (to chill the tea faster)
1 cup guava juice*
1. Bring 1 cup water to a full rolling boil. Pour over 3 tablespoons Alchemist’s Brew tea. Steep tea for 10 minutes, then strain into a heatproof pitcher or jug.
2. Stir 2 cups of cold water or 2 cups of ice cubes into the tea. Using ice cubes will chill the mixture faster. Ensure that the drink is at room temperature or colder before combining with guava juice. If it’s not cold enough, chill in the fridge or place in the freezer for about 10 to 15 minutes to cool further.
3. Add guava juice to tea mixture & stir to combine. Shake over ice to ensure it’s deliciously icy.
4. Take a sip. If it’s sweet enough for your taste (this will vary depending on the brand of guava juice you use, as some are sweeter than others), then it’s ready to enjoy as a mocktail or to turn into a cocktail. If you like it sweeter, add more guava juice, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring & taste testing after each addition so you know when to stop. If you’ve added quite a bit of guava juice & the juice isn’t pre-chilled, then you may need to shake the mixture over ice again to ensure it is cold.
5. Once the balance between guava juice & tea is perfect for your liking, it’s ready to enjoy as a mocktail.
6. If you’d like to make a popsicle, pour it into popsicle molds. Place in freezer until frozen solid.
If you like popsicles that have a sweeter, more sorbet-like texture, add another ½ cup to 1 cup more guava juice to the mixture. The added juice will create a finer texture. As well, the perception of sweetness in food & drinks is impacted by temperature. As popsicles are frozen, they are colder than an iced drink & you’ll perceive they taste less sweet than when you consume this as a drink.
7. To transform into a cocktail, add your favourite spirit—white rum or tequila are wonderfully tropical choices for this cocktail, but vodka or your favourite neutral spirit are also wonderful in this drink. Start by stirring 4 oz of alcohol into the pitcher, taste test & adjust to your preference. To make a spiked popsicle, keep the alcohol content of the drink low or it won’t freeze, but in that case, you can always enjoy it as a frozen slushie-style drink.
*Good quality organic, additive-free guava juice can be found at many grocery stores in the juice aisle. You’ll also almost always find guava juice in Asian import & grocery stores as it’s a popular juice & fruit in India as well as throughout Southeast Asia. It’s sold in tetra paks, glass jars & canned, depending on the brand. Always read the label to ensure it’s as pure as possible with no added sugar, dyes, artificial flavours or other additives.