Counteract sun & environmental damage, aging & the bad habits that wreak havoc on your skin with this healthy, frothy, sugar-free drink that contains anti-aging antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, protein, healthy fats, & anti-inflammatory compounds which benefit the skin and act like a tonic to your entire system. Best of all, this smoothie tastes yummy and is fast & easy to make!
Have it with breakfast, or as a healthy alternative to a snack between meals. Sip while making dinner if you’re hungry when cooking, to avoid snacking on unhealthy foods.
This smoothie also provides a boost of energy (and helps reduce food cravings), while delivering benefits to your skin, cardiovascular system a& more.
Beau-TEA-ful Skin Smoothie
Makes 1 cup
- 1 cup BeauTEAful Tea brewed double strength, strained a& cooled to room temperature (use 1 tsp of tea per 1 cup of water, instead of ½ tsp tea)
- 6 raw, unroasted almonds (with skins on)
- 4 raw, unroasted pecans
- 2 tsp. cold pressed flaxseed oil
- If possible, before making this drink, pre-soak nuts in water for 6-12 hours. Place them in a glass or bowl, and cover with enough water so that they are completely submerged in water, plus about another inch of water. Store in fridge. When you are ready to use them, strain the soaking water off. The reason for this is that pre-soaking the nuts makes them creamier and they dissolve better into the drink. This step isn’t essential- I’ve made this drink without pre-soaking on many occasions, and it tastes great, but the pre-soak makes the texture even nicer.
- Use organic, fresh, good quality nuts and flaxseed oil. Not only do they taste better, but in addition to an unappealing rancid flavour, stale nuts and oil have lost their antioxidant and nutritive properties. As well, to maximize the healthful properties of food, avoid ingredients that aren’t organic – they may contain pesticide residues or other undesirable chemicals.
- Don’t make this smoothie with hot tea. Use room temperature or iced tea. While hot tea is very good for you, the heat causes the beneficial properties of the flaxseed oil to be lost. It also causes a reduction in the healthy fats found in the nuts. If you enjoy cold drinks, you can add some ice to the blender when making it, so that it’s icy.
- Our premium quality tea has a natural sweetness to it, and doesn’t require any sweetener. However, if you’d like this to have a bit of sweetness, add up to 1 tsp. good quality maple syrup. In general, try to eliminate sugar from your diet whenever you can, so if you can avoid it in this drink, or your daily cup of tea, that’s a great choice to make. Sugar is linked to inflammation and many diseases, and it’s in more places in your diet than you might realize. It’s a hidden ingredient in many processed foods, but it’s not just by adding sugar to our foods that we end up with sugar in our diets. Our bodies convert all the carbs we eat (bread, potatotes) into sugar, which causes our blood sugar levels to rise, which can lead to weight gain, mood issues, diabetes and many other issues.