Adding tea & herbs to your daily cuisine is a great way to amp up vitamins, minerals & give your diet a nutritional boost. Use Detox Tea a mix of antioxidant rich greens & herbs that you can enjoy on its own, or use it to make a variety of soups, to cook your grains in or try this easy & quick pesto & dip recipe.
RENEW Pesto is yummy drizzled over springtime asparagus, or smashed potatoes. Use it as a dip for your favourite cut veggies or add to sauces, salad dressings & more. It takes only minutes to make & it’s perfect for anyone with dietary sensitivities or wishing to avoid certain foods, including oils & nuts.
dairy-free, vegan, gluten-free & nut-free
RENEW PESTO & DIP
Ingredients ~ makes approx 1 cup
- 3 Tbsp Detox Tea, brewed double strength, at room temperature
- 2 cups packed fresh basil – large stems removed (optional: use fresh stinging nettle leaves- *see cooking note below)
- 3 Tbsp raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- pinch of sea salt
- Brew 1 Tbsp Detox Tea with 1/2 cup boiling water – steep 10 minutes, then strain. To cool, put tea broth in a heatproof container & place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Add basil leaves, sunflower seeds, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, & sea salt to food processor or small blender. Blend on high until a chunky paste forms.
Add brewed Detox Tea one tablespoon at a time, until well blended & the desired consistency is reached. You will need to add more tea if using for dressing for a more pourable consistency.
TIP: pour any leftovers into ice cube molds, freeze & pull out as needed for sauces, soups or dressings.
*If using stinging nettle, the leaves will need a quick one minute steam before you use them to make the pesto. Make sure you are using gloves or tongs to avoid the ‘sting’. After steaming, place in ice bath to stop cooking & pat dry with paper towel or tea towel before adding to the blender/food processor.